- Mindfulness: The skill of being in the present moment while realized the signs of unconstrained emotions.
- Emotion Regulation: The skill of coping with a difficult situation by creating pleasant and self-soothing experience to protect themselves from emotional extremes. Of all the DBT skills training for teenagers, this one is an exceptionally important one. A focus on their physical body is emphasized like eating properly, getting adequate sleep, staying on schedule with medications, and avoiding other drugs.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Impulsive behavior is often the result of negative triggers when interacting with others. The purpose of teaching this DBT skill for children is to learn how to more effectively interact with others. It enables the child to feel they are supported by others.
- Distress Tolerance: This is the DBT skills that teaches a child to recognize those urges to do things that are ineffective, like self-harm or suicide, how to consciously control those urges.
- Walking in the Middle: Of all the DBT skills for adults, this one incorporates working with the child and the parent. They learn three important skills:
- How to validate each other
- How to compromise and negotiate
- How to see things from the other person’s side
This part of DBT for children acknowledges multiple truths in both the child’s and the parent’s view instead of the attitude of” I am right, and you are wrong.”
Severe emotional dysregulation and the corresponding uncontrolled behavior that is often associated with pre-adolescent children can be handled, giving the child and those around them tools with dialectical behavior therapy for children. It is a fact that some children experience emotions differently and stronger than most children. The smallest things can cause them irritations, creating overwhelming emotions they lash out physically and verbally.
In the past, these outbursts were considered “manipulative “moves by the child. With in-depth studies though, experts have found that out-of-control behavior like this is the only way some children know how to handle those intense emotions.
With DBT skills for Adults & children that also incorporate DBT for adults with theoretical model, principles, and therapeutic strategies, children can learn how to handle these feelings in an acceptable manner. Thereby preventing future destructive choices and forgoing a life with chaos and destruction.
Suffolk DBT proudly provides quality dialectical behavior therapy, a form of cognitive behavioral therapy, at their offices in Manhattan and Long Island, New York and online. Their experienced therapists specialize in serving teens, children, adults, and college students struggling with depression, borderline personality disorder, eating disorders, and self-harm. Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) skills and treatment can help you or your kids to manage emotions and work through life’s challenges. Suffolk DBT Manhattan and Long Island offer a free screening call so you can get started right away.